Monday, September 27, 2010

Where is the book for THAT??

I have always known that my child is stubborn. It he thinks he can get away with doing as little as possible he will. This applies to talking as well as obeying for him. Last summer I had some concerns because he was not talking that much. So I had someone from the state come out and test him and they said that while he was a little delayed is wasn't enough for them to help me with it. I could have done private speech therapy but I was under the understanding that it would work itself out.

This year his MDO (mother's day out) program tells me that they are worried about his talking. So they want me to test him (remember the first time was all me). The annoying part is that the examples they gave me were more along the lines of behavior issues. Mainly my child is the class clown and since he already knows everything that they are going over he gets bored and acts up. They are just now really working on letters, numbers, shapes, etc. He knows all of that and needs more of a challenge, but it is just a MDO program so I don't expect that much from them honestly. But the problem is that he is now seeking attention through bad behavior because they give him that attention rather than ignoring him or putting him in time out when he acts up. Which makes it harder for me to reinforce my "punishment" methods at home. But he is not the biter of the class, nor the hitter, or the severely quiet and shy child of the class (which there are all three types in that group) he just acts silly.

Anyways so I go to get the child tested and they tell me that he is technically a year behind on speech and language comprehension. Why? Because he does not understand things like possessive pronominal adjective, which one is not whatever, using contractions, not using 4-5 word sentences, using -ing- at the end of things like reading, singing, playing, etc. not identifying things by groups like animals, toys, etc. There were more but I can not remember them right now.
Now most of this I was like "What the hell, you expect a three year old to know crap like that but not all their letters and shapes until he is like 4 or 5???" Not to mention the desired jump in language comprehension from the time a child is 2 to 3 is crazy! AND to make it more fun, they are supposed to just learn this information through osmosis. I mean hell, it is not like I don't talk to the child, read to him, sing to him. He can already read some simple three letter words but he apparently doesn't understand the supposed basic language comprehension that a three old year should. Way to make a parent feel like absolute and utter crap!!!

So the examiner was like do you have any questions after she told me her findings. And I was like " Uh, YEAH! How am I supposed to know this?" I mean they make books for potty training, sibling rivalry discipline, sleeping, where they need to be in physical development but I have not seen any they say where you kids need to be for language comprehension! They may be out there but they must be few and far between cause I haven't seen them in the bookstore. Her response was usually they just pick it up or you pedi should tell you if they suspect something. WHAT??

So whatever, I will wait for the rest of the school system stuff to come back to see whether I should put him in speech therapy or not.

Now an annoying thing is now after doing the testing he is using those things first off because I make a point to use them in front of him more pronouncedly and secondly because I MAKE him use them because I want him to know that I expect it. But even more annoying is that according to this chart, that I looked up later after searching the web. http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/language_development.shtml - he is not THAT far off. There is like one or two things he is still working on but for the most part he has got most of them. But it also shows that jump that I was talking about them wanting.

Now I know that I don't have a stupid child, far from it in fact. I think what I have is a very stubborn child who is more or less lazy in some areas than in others. He ahead or right at where he needs to be on most other areas. But apparently not this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment